Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 87

President focuses on needs of Latino students

I remember a time in my life when such an article would have thrown me in an angry fit.  As an American of Latino descent, I remember when I was still in school.  To me, being Latino was of no consequence of my academic career.  I could have been born with Mexican hair, a Chinese face, an African torso, and European legs... and my ability to study math or science would be no damn different.  I didn't choose to be Latino.  No one chooses their national descent.  So no one should be judged one way or another on it. 

Now that I've gained a few years of knowledge and understanding since then, I can accept the idea that students can come to the United States not knowing much more than a few words of English.  In order to be able to properly learn in school, either the classes now have to cater to their language... or they have to be taught how to acclimate themselves to our school system, so as to have a level playing field.  Ok, now THAT makes sense!

But, if you think about it, that's not because of their heritage.  That's because of the linguistics of their previous geography.  They could have been born Chinese and raised in Mexico, and they'd likely have a similar issue.  I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment